1. Control and co-ordinate work of ZSWOs in the State and ensure their effective functioning.
2. Promoting measures for the welfare and resettlement of ESM and families of serving/deceased personnel of the Armed Forces.
3. Disseminating information to the general public regarding Armed Forces in the country and for taking measures to enhance interest in Armed Forces amongst general public.
4. Administering the ZilaSainik Welfare Offices (ZSWOs) in the State in accordance with the rules and instructions prescribed by the Central and State Govts including undertaking annual inspections. In coordination with the administration of the State, ensure that vacancies of ZSWO and their staff are filled on occurrence.
5. Maintain upto date statistics of ESM, disabled ESM, widows, dependants and families of serving defence personnel under the heads pensioners and non pensioners both for ESM and widows.
6. Seek and monitor employment opportunities for ESM and widows in the private sector.
7. Assist ESM and widows in planning and funding of self-employment ventures.
8. Organize Armed Forces Flag Day Fund (AFFDF) committee meetings in order to fix targets for various state and voluntary agencies to enhance collection drive throughout the year. Maintain the Amalgamated Special Fund and promote/ institute Welfare Schemes in the State from these funds as per decisions of the Management Committee of these funds.
9. Undertake additional welfare measures for ESM and widows. Give wide publicity to welfare measures being undertaken by the Deptt through the media.
10.Hold Ex-Servicemen rallies and pension adalats to propagate various concessions being extended and settle on the spot functional and other problems projected by Ex-Servicemen and their dependents.
11.Organise annual “RSB Meeting‟ under the Chairmanship of Governor/ Chief Minister and “AFFD Fund Meeting” under Chairmanship of Governor of the J&K. At these meetings, a review is to be made of welfare and rehabilitation measures, fresh policies formulated and implemented.